Date:      Tue, 2 May 1995 18:00:19 -0600
From:      Danny Boulet <danny@nahanni.BouletFermat.ab.ca>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Security options for NFS?

nlawson@statler.csc.calpoly.edu (Nathan Lawson) says:

> > I'm looking to secure NFS and other services not covered by tcpd -
> > what's the conventional wisdom for FreeBSD 2.0?
>
> Good question.  I recommend compiling with the "IPFIREWALL" and
> "IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE" options.  Then you can deny packets to those services
> with the ipfw(8) utility.  Also, if you don't have the full ability to
> firewall, then you can use the SecureLib library.  It compiles with very
> minor tweaking.  I am considering sending it in to the ports people or
> whoever if anyone wants it.
>
> For NFS, block tcp and udp ports 111, and udp port 2049.
>
> Good luck,
> --
> Nathan Lawson     \    Never let your schooling interfere with your education.
> CSL 490/News Admin \
> (805)756-7180 @Work \  "The steady state of disks is full."  -- Ken Thompson
> ---------------------

The IPFIREWALL support in FreeBSD 2.0 is based on an older version
of my ipfirewall utility.  The latest version (v2.0a) includes the following:

    - ability to match packets based on whether or not they:

          = are in-bound TCP/IP connection attempts
          = are IP fragments
          = have IP options defined

    - ability to request that a packet be accepted and logged (i.e.
      echoed on the console).

    - all rejected or logged packet messages indicate which filter
      matched the packet (helps when debugging filters).

    - interface-specific filters (provides a way to defeat a variety
      of IP spoofing style attacks by attaching filters to specific
      network interfaces).

    - minor cleanup all over the place.

The latest version is available for ftp from:

        ftp://ftp.nebulus.net/pub/bsdi/security/ipfirewall_v2.0a.gz
or
        ftp://ftp.bsdi.com/contrib/networking/security/ipfirewall_v2.0a.shar.gz

I've got FreeBSD 2.0 on a CD-ROM so I can provide diffs that should allow
ipfirewall v2.0 to be installed on FreeBSD 2.0.  Unfortunately, I don't
run FreeBSD on any machine that I've got access to so I can't test the
diffs (I use BSD/OS v2.0 for all my ipfirewall development).  Contact me
directly (danny@bouletfermat.ab.ca) if you're interested in these diffs.
Once someone running FreeBSD has verified that they work, I'll include them
in my standard release.

-Danny

P.S. A bound 30 page user's guide is provided to those who contribute the
suggested minimum shareware amount ($60 Canadian or roughly $44 US these days).