Date:      Fri, 09 Jun 2000 13:06:09 +0200
From:      Thomas Runge <runge@rostock.zgdv.de>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   native 1.2.2

Finally I succeeded compiling "my own" jdk 1.2.2 and I have to say,
that I'm really surprised!
I just checked some applications I made for my recent project,
which make quite a lot stuff with Swing, threads and CORBA and
everythin worked. There are only some problems with fonts

(Font specified in font.properties not found
[-*-*-medium-r-normal-*-*-%d-*-*-p-*-adobe-fontspecific])

and thus the layout looks a little bit different.

I even checked suns new Java Webstart, which seems to work
quite fine.

But one thing makes me thoughtfully. It seems, that our native
port without JIT is faster then the linux port with JIT, at
least within Swing based applications.
How can that be?

penguin ~> /usr/local/linux-jdk1.2.2/bin/java -version
java version "1.2.2"
Classic VM (build Linux_JDK_1.2.2_RC4, green threads, sunwjit)

penguin ~> /usr/local/jdk1.2.2/bin/java -version
java version "1.2.2"
Classic VM (build jdk1.2.2-FreeBSD:runge:2000/06/08-15:45, green
threads, nojit)

--
Tom