Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 19:22:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Apache/webhosting user/group security/config

Hello:

I'm trying to set up a webhosting server and have some questions
about "properly secured" Apache configuration.  I've been digging
through books, security/apache-related websites, and FreeBSD mail
archives & so far, cannot find answers to my "situation."

Background/current configuration:

OS is FreeBSD 4.4-stable, recently cvsup'ed/built/running.

Web content is to be in its own filesystem, outside of any of the
"system" directories (for example, outside of /usr and /var).

The default installation of the apache port (1.3.20) operates
httpd as user/group "nobody/nogroup" and the default apache+ssl
port configuration runs httpd as user/group "nobody/nobody."
(Question:  How "sane" are these?")

I need & plan to enable suEXEC & need to make sure that is
properly done.  (For examples, what should I use for suEXEC's
document-root directory?  And what other suEXEC configuration
options should I consider?)

Here are some things with which I'm having misgivings:

I'm being asked to create a user & group of "www" and to run
httpd as this user & group.

Additionally, I'm being asked to add "www" to the allowed/invited
groups of a hosted user (in /etc/groups).

I've tried to explain that these are *very* bad ideas/practices
but so far, I haven't been able to adequately explain that to
the requesting parties.

Can someone help me with a "good explanation" of why these
are Bad Ideas (if indeed, they are bad, of course)?  Citable
sources would be Most Appreciated, too.  :)

I'd also appreciate pointers to other places (ie. mailing-lists)
to ask if this is not "best/appropriate." :)

Many thanks,

-kc