Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 10:56:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
To:        Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
Cc:        Mario Doria <madd@tecdigital.net>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Block doubleclick at a NAT Firewall

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Fernando Gleiser wrote:

> Instead of trying to figure out the netblocks of every spammer/bad guy, use
> an aplication level proxy which understands HTTP.
>
> You can try junkbuster, it is an HTTP proxy designed to block ads.
> It is in the ports.

Another suggestion which I read, but have not tried, is to use your hosts
file. You can define the spammer's URL as a localhost domain.

for instance yesterday I had some DNS problems with my internal network.
Did a little browsing by IP address and the web site I was looking at
worked, but it's pop under failed and a DNS error came back. This means
that at least this site refer's to it's add server by URL (and I would
suspect most sites do) so if you can trick your box into thinking that the
URL is localhost then you (in theory) won't see the popus.