Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 21:19:48 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0-20000307-CURRENT kern.flp keyboard probe questions

Jeffrey J. Mountin wrote to Mike Smith:

> At 05:54 PM 3/10/00 -0800, Mike Smith wrote:
> >Since you can't safely hot-plug the PC keyboard, that wouldn't be very
> >smart.  The only way to auto-detect the use of a serial console is to
> >look for a keyboard; if one isn't plugged in, there's no local console,
> >end of story.
>
> Can't safely?  Why the hell not?
>
> Been hot-swapping keyboards for many years without *any* problems.  Old DIN
> style and PS2, doesn't matter.  Even Doze doesn't mind.

Me as well...For at least a decade.  I used to do it manually all the
time, but had occasional glitches with funny scan codes and indicator
statuses.  With a mid-range priced switch, though, I have had no problems
whatsoever.

> If/when this does change, wishing there will be a way to override back to
> the current behaviour.  IMO, serial console should be explicitly called for.

Amen.  If I can't boot a system to the local console without a keyboard,
that system isn't very useful.

If the default DOES change, you should be able to change your boot.config
to remove the -P option.

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2