Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 2021 10:11:22 +0200
From:      Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org>
To:        Softwafe Engineer <timsofteng@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Distorted sound with external usb-device and bitperfect

On 3/29/21 6:59 AM, Softwafe Engineer wrote:
> Here is dmesg after motu m2 was plugged:
>
> https://pastebin.com/1mcQNn1H
>
> (is pastebin ok?)
>
> I've tried it in few music players which are could be find in ports
> - deadbeef
> - audacious
>
> Both sound distorted when I enable bitperfect and disable vchans. If
> not then sounds ok.
>
> I never try virtual_oss. I just would to send bitperfect sound from
> freebsd to motu m2 to listen music.

Hi,

I suspect the applications you are trying to use don't support 32-bit
mode via OSS. That's why you hear noise. They've configured something
else, like 16-bit or 24-bit mode.

You could ktrace the application possibly to figure this out. It will
show all IOCTL's.

Try to configure virtual_oss in bitperfect mode instead for a test.

Beware that many applications that output 16-bit audio, don't properly
fill the lower bytes with noise when they resampling to 32-bit. That's
another reason to use virtual_oss :-)

--HPS