Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 1997 20:34:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Jay D. Nelson" <jdn@qiv.com>
To:        Paul Dekkers <psd@worldaccess.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD is slower than Linux !? (Long rant)

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Paul Dekkers wrote:

[My attempt to withdraw gracefully is deleted]

>and what do you think of fBSD as an internet server, or fileserver?
>choose another os instead of FreeBSD or?

Depends on the circumstances. I use FreeBSD in both environments. I've
seen Linux in production environments (defined as: when the box goes
down, you have many [several hundred] $25-$35 per people idled) and,
so far, Linux doesn't cut the mustard -- I wouldn't put my income on
the line with Linux.

I am aware of the _single user_ speed advantages Linux _appears_ to
have. What I've found is simply this -- put any Linux distribution
under serious load and it bogs down. Some have had worse problems, but
this is the one I've seen most often.

>(which distrib? rh/slack/debian?)

Slackware and Red Hat. I have a coworker that uses Red Hat (he's
enamored with the SYSVisms) who hasn't had a stable system for months
(through 4.0-4.1-4.2). I've used Slackware -- the most common varient
I've seen tried in production settings. Which is why I use FreeBSD ;)

[More graceless attemts to withdraw deleted]

>Hmm... I tried to mount my harddisk with the async option, but I'd say it
>doesn't differ much;
>	Linux	fBSD	fBSD with async
>dd-test	2.61	4.95	4.78

My original suggestion was to put the system under serious load --
simulate a real multiuser environment and look at total times. I think
you'll see that -- even with sync filesystems -- the _total_ time will
show you the advantages. I've not tried it myself so you may enlighten
us all.

[my original suggestion]

You may _believe_ in async filesystems. I see the advantages in the
right environment, but I see more advantage in minimizing downtime and
avoiding -- however possible -- the need to restore from backup and
trusting that nothing written since last nights backup was important.

If you believe Linux is better, you should use it and stop busting our
chops over your percieved short comings of FreeBSD. If, on the other
hand, you're not sure -- recognize the fundamental differences in
perspective between the two and test FreeBSD under the conditions a
_production_ OS is designed to accomodate. After that, tell us on
which you would be willing to bet your job and pager.

If you didn't understand what I've said -- you should use Linux.

-- Jay