Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 16:55:23 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Aaron Burke <aburke@nullplusone.com>, djf2 <djf2@danu.ili.net>, "Corey Snow" <corey@snowpoint.com>
Subject:   RE: Serial console issues

djf2 <djf2@danu.ili.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Aaron Burke wrote:

> > You should be able to use "dmesg | grep sio" to determine what kind
> > of hardware you are running.
>
>  I'm fairly certain it isn't the hardware, at least in my case.
>  I've used several different machines that were at least relatively recent
> hardware (at least past the point where they wouldn't have had a 16550
> uart) and the serial console exhibited the same behavior each time.

In my case I'm not able to get the serial console working at all.
All I get on my display is some periodic commas and D characters.
I have it set for Xon/Xoff flow control.

Current FBSD versions appear to enable console operations by default
on sio0, (with the "flags 0x10" argument in the kernal config file)
so in theory all I should have to do is connect a null-modem cable,
run a comm program at 9600,N,8,1 - create a boot.config file with a
"-D" or "-h" or "-Dh" in it (or specify it to the boot loader at boot
time) and get something.  I don't get any output.

I'm going to try it on another box and see if it's hardware related.

(aside: the Intel L440GX+ server board I'm testing this on has a
bunch of embedded serial management features, most of which work on
COM2.  Among other things, it has a "console redirection" feature
which does basically the same thing those $300 boards from
www.realweasel.com do - and which Rod Smith so helpfully mentioned in
the previous thread.  Too bad the Intel implementation is buggy.. :-)

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium