Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 10:59:17 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: : cvs commit: src/usr.bin/make arch.c buf.c compat.c  cond.c dir.c for.c hash.c job.c main.c make.c parse.c str.c suff.c  targ.c util.c var.c

At 10:19 AM +0200 2000/7/12, Brad Knowles wrote:

>  	This was produced by running this paragraph (in vi ;-) through
>  "par w42".  I note that it removed the double space characters.
>  I'm sure this could be fixed,but the syntax to par is unfortunately
>  rather complex, and I've only begun to explore the examples.

	Through trial-and error, taking the same input paragraph, I can get:

>>>  Emacs has a line wrap macro which understands
>>>  quoted text.  Taking Fred's paragraph above,
>>>  it makes this out of it:

>>>  That's m-q when running in letter mode (I
>>>  think).

	By pumping the paragraph through "par B=._A_a Q+:+ q 50bg".  This
is very close to the actual quoting style used by the original
author(s).  I think putting an extra space before the "q" might get
us back to their "double space after the set of left-hand quoting
character(s)".

	Pretty cool stuff.  I think if/when I start doing e-mail with
mutt once more, I'll be using par to be doing my paragraph
reformatting.