Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:17:59 +0930
From:      Adam Smith <adam@internode.com.au>
To:        "W. D." <WD@US-Webmasters.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommended software for various computer types?

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 04:48:26PM -0500, W. D. said:
> Hi Folks,
>
> What are some recommendations for programs for these
> different types of computers?
>
> (Internet Web Server, Desktop Workstation, Firewall,
> Samba LAN File Server)
>
> Which programs are essential?  Useful?  Which to avoid?
> Why?

It's difficult to answer these questions based solely on the fact that each
system you build is designed to perform a set of functions.  Each of these
functions will require a software package to drive it.  Your situation is
unique to you.  Let us know more about what you need to do with the
specific server.

For you to ask what software is required for a Samba server, the answer is
Samba.  Do you want it to do anything else?  If so, what?  Then perhaps we
can recommend some better tools to do that job.

Personally, I build a box from the ground up, and I add what I need to it
as time goes on.  When I build a new machine, I have a clear idea of
exactly what I need it to do, and when I begin adding functionality to
that box, I add the software for it.

Cheers,

Adam