Date:      Sat, 30 Aug 1997 17:56:37 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Matt_Murphy@mail.amsinc.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading FreeBSD

On Fri, 29 Aug 1997 Matt_Murphy@mail.amsinc.com wrote:

> I have v2.1.5 installed.  I have 2.1.6, 2.2.1 and 2.2.2 sitting on the
> shelf per my Walnut Creed CD-ROM subscription and no time.
>
> I have two (multipart) questions:
>
>    Can I go directly to the latest version or should I upgrade them in
>    sequence?

You can safly upgrade 2.1.5 directly to 2.2.2

>    How do I do the upgrade?  Do I follow the normal steps for installing
>    from CD-ROM in the Installing and Running FreeBSD manual?  I saw a
>    tutorial on the net for upgrading from source code but I'm not sure if
>    that's what I'm doing?  Where can I get the instructions for upgrading
>    to a later release?

If you don't like upgrading from sources, follow the following procedure:
Backup your /etc directory somewhere safe (on your /usr partition,
preferably). If you installed the sources with your old version, you are
advised to delete most of it (except, perhaps for the directory
containing your kernel config files).

Boot the new install floppy and choose upgrade. Let it run through the
installation, choosing the distributions you require.

When it's done it'll drop you into a shell and ask you to make any
necessary changes to the files in /etc. Use your saved copy to make those
changes (many files have changed since 2.1.5).

Reboot.

> Your prompt response would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks
> Matt Murphy

Nadav