Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 1996 22:23:49 +0100 (MET)
From:      "Julian Stacey jhs@freebsd.org" <jhs@vector.jhs.local>
To:        phk@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   ctm-cvs

--------

Hi Poul-Henning, CC current,

A CTM question if I may:
  Is there a particular reason for cvs-cur.1500A.gz to be a mega size ctm
  patch ? Is it perhaps that way because its easier for you to maintain/append ?
  or might it be nicer as a standard tar file ?

Background:
  cvs-cur.1500A.gz is 						 47 140 400
  with
	ctm -q -T /net/gate/usr/tmp ../ctm/cvs-cur.1500A.gz
  and  du -s -k							194.6 Meg
  with tar zcf /net/gate/usr/tmp/CTM . one gets 		 47 369 870

  Things like src-cur.*00.tar.gz used to be in tar format, admittedly one
  saves a little more in ctm format, but not much,
  but I suspect extraction might be slower using CTM (multi-pass maybe ?)
  & also a friend warned me of the need to find a large tmp space else the
  extract would fail.

Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/