Date:      Mon, 7 Dec 1998 02:16:16 +0000
From:      "Paolo Di Francesco" <paipai@tin.it>
To:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Developer's Kit [UpDated]

--Message-Boundary-16963

Please help me to improve this document!

Read it and enjoy yourself! ;)

Ciao Ciao
       Paolo Di Francesco
   _
 ->B<-   All Recycled Bytes Message ...
   ~

--Message-Boundary-16963

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------<
|        Developer's Kit - How to live happy and develop Sparc Code           |
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------<

This document is the Developer's kit", everything you must have in the desktop
near to you to develop Ultra and Sparc32 code.

Please help me to improve this document.

Note 1: this is not the Tester-kit. If you are not actively writing code (or
you don't want to write it) skip this document. Thanks.

Note 2: Suggestions? Send them to me

        Paolo Di Francesco <paipai@tin.it>

        or to:

+--------+
|Hardware|
+--------+

[Still not so clear if we can use Cross-compiler. So please wait until we
know more about this.]

UltraSparc -> if you want to develop for the UltraSparc sub-group
OldSparc -> if you want to develop for the old Sparc sub-group

This box must be avaible (possibly) every our of the day, to test the latest
kernel code or to write code, or to test something else. You must have it
avaible to reset it every time you want.

Floppy disk. This could be very usefull because we can do the boot using the
floppy without writing ethernet code.

VideoCard: I don't know...

OBP: possibly the same version... but could be useful if we have different
ones... More ideas?

For net booting this could be useful:

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------<

[From a private discussion with David O'Brien]

> > Not required at all.  Sun's understand a vt100 console on ttya very well.
>
> OBP understand this? Wow!

If OBP can't probe the keyboard, then it sends changes the console to
ttya.  SO much easier than PCs.  For remote operation it works VERY well.
You can setup a terminal server, leave a Sun bootable CDROM in the CDROM
drive and you can even easily repair a badly corrupt disk remotely.

> The second one (let's supose it's an Intel) acts as a Vt100 terminal and
> Ultra send it data, right?

Yes.  I acutally use Minicom my my main FreeBSD with a null modem cable
to a switch box to my Suns.  The Suns haven't seen a monitor or keyboard
in quite a while.

> +---------------------+                       +---------------------+
> |                     |                       |                     |
> |                     |     serial line       |                     |
> |                     |        vt 100         |                     |
> |                     |<--------------------->|                     |
> |    Master box       |        video          |     Slave box       |
> |                     |                       |                     |
> |                     |                       |    Ultra Sparc      |
> |                     |   ethernet 10/100Mb   |         or          |
> |                     |<--------------------->|  Sparc32 (oldSparc) |
> | Intel/Sparc/etc...  |       kernel          |                     |
> |                     |                       |                     |
> +---------------------+                       +---------------------+
>
> [do you like this picture?]

Your description was exactly right.  This is the setup for my sparcs at
home.

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------<

+-------------------+
|Hardware On The Web|
+-------------------+

Here you'll find many useful link to specs and docs.
    http://www.sun.com/microelectronics/products/chipsets.html
    http://www.sun.com/microelectronics/products/modules.html
    http://www.sun.com/microelectronics/products/microproc.html

Here you'll find the AXi MotherBoards.
    http://www.sun.com/microelectronics/SPARCengineUltraAXi/

The OpenBoot FAQ.
    http://www.sunworld.com/swol-10-1995/swol-10-openboot.html

For anyone working on SBus, the following URL might be useful:
    http://www.troubadortech.com/sbus.html

+--------+
|Software|
+--------+

[We are still working on this, sorry]

Kernel: 3.0-current or later installed somewhere.

Official compiler-toolchain: (Work in progress).

Cross-compiling?: (Work in progress).

+-----+
|Books|
+-----+

UltraSparc only:

    The Sparc Architecture Manual/Version 9
    by David L. Weaver, Tom Germond, Inc Staff Sparc International
    Price: about $45.00
    Paperback (February 1994)
    Prentice Hall; ISBN: 0130992275 ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.69 x 9.19 x 6.98

Sparc32 only:

    Inc., SPARC International
    "The SPARC Architecture Manual/Version 8"
    Prentice Hall 1994
    ISBN 0-13-825001-4

Both:

    Lyle, James D.
    "SBus: Information, Applications, and Experience"
    Springer Verlag 1992
    ISBN 0-387-97862-3

    Shanley, Tom, Don Anderson
    "PCI System Architecture/3ed"
    Addison-Wesley Longman 1995
    ISBN 0-201-40993-3

    Panic! : Unix System Crash Dump Analysis
    by Chris Drake, Kimberley Brown
    Paperback - 496 pages Bk&Cd-Rom edition (July 1995)
    Prentice Hall; ISBN: 0131493868 ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.89 x 9.26 x 7.06

+----------+
|On the Web|
+----------+

    Nice site.
    http://www.sunhelp.com

    Links to Sparc documents.
    http://www.csn.net/~bediger/sparc.tech.links.html

    >-- From the Linux Sparc (old and Ultra) project: --<

	Sparc32 - No UltraSparc
        http://www.geog.ubc.ca/s_linux.html

	UltraSparc
        http://ultra.linux.czwww.sunhelp.com

+-------+
|UpLoads|
+-------+

Where can I upload my files? Actually we do not have an official site, but
you can:

[Message from David O'Brien (obrien@NUXI.ucdavis.edu -or- obrien@FreeBSD.org)]

Upload them to ftp://ftp.nuxi.com/incoming, and send me an email listing
the files and describing them.  I will put them on www.freebsd.org off
the sparc webpage.