Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 2004 13:23:24 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Gil Binder <Admin@ZoneServ.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD - Linux / Unix ?

Gil Binder wrote:

>Hey there,
>I am a FreeBSD user, I have a debate with someone about FreeBSD.
>And I would like you to answer our little debate, FreeBSD is:
>A.      Linux
>B.      Unix
>C.      Something else ( Tell us what ;P )

The Project tells us (www.freebsd.org):

"FreeBSD is an advanced operating system for
x86 compatible, AMD64, Alpha, IA-64, PC-98
and UltraSPARC® architectures. It is derived
from BSD, the version of UNIX® developed
at the University of California, Berkeley. It
is developed and maintained by a large
team of individuals
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/contributors/index.html>.
Additional platforms <http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/index.html>;
are in various stages of development."

Annelise Anderson (book title):

"FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your Personal Computer"

Apple's "Kernel Programming Glossary":

"A variant of the BSD operating system. See http://www.freebsd.org for
details."

I got a kick out of this one at virtualis.com:

"The FreeBSD operating system is a version of UNIX, and it runs
on Intel microprocessors and powers the servers of the Web's
largest sites. FreeBSD is the operating system of choice for
the Virtualis shared servers, and we have an entire line of
FreeBSD (UNIX) dedicated servers as well. See Also: OPERATING
SYSTEM"

I like to contrast that last part with "occasionally
operating system,"  e.g. NT, Slowlaris, etc.....

O'Reilly.net claims there is a kinship:

"FreeBSD is an open source, freely distributed Unix-like operating
system, much like Linux, its counterpart on the Internet. Mac
OS X contains a BSD component. "

And I think this tells a lot in a little space:

http://kb.indiana.edu/data/agom.html?cust=550954.08738.131

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.