Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 1995 21:12:20 +1100 (EST)
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au (Stephen Hocking)
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xfree86 now has the DGA extension

>It's in the latest Xfree86 alpha, & will probably be making it's way the the
>beta releases in due course. At the moment only S3 & Cirrus hardware are
>supported (on Linux) and I suspect that it's only for those models running
>with a linear mapped frame buffer (i.e. VLB/EISA/PCI - I think I'll be
>upgrading when budget permits!)

It should support banked memory mapping too.  The interface has a
SetVidPage() function.  The only cards that won't be supported are those
old ones which only have register access to the video memory (like the
8514/A, and maybe the Mach8).

I don't know a lot about this stuff yet though.  It was done after we
were approached by Dave Taylor from id wanting better games performance
on Linux.  The person doing the work on this is Jon Tombs (but don't
hassle him too much :-).

And, yes, we are planning that it will be included in the next beta
(binary-only though).  I don't know if we'll have the interface
documented by then, or how many drivers/OSs will be supported by then.

David