Date:      Wed, 3 Oct 2001 09:05:22 -0500
From:      Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
To:        peter@spirit.lib.umt.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any Mutt users?

> OK, I'm taking the plunge.  I'm learning mutt...

Okay, check.

> I'm trying to figure out how to send e-mail through an SMTP server
> with mutt (other than my own)...

This is something you could do through your MTA, just tell it to relay
via SMTP.  I do this in qmail by doing

  # echo :my.relay.mil >/var/qmail/control/smtproutes

I have no idea how to do this in Sendmail.

> and failing that, I'd really like to be able to set the return
> address to something other than username@mymachine.on.the.dialup.

I have this in ~/.muttrc:

  send-hook . "my_hdr From: Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>"
  send-hook . "my_hdr Reply-To: lucas@slb.to"

> On a side note, I've configured mutt to recognize the several fbsd
> mailing lists, but I would like to somehow automate messages being
> sorted into different folders (i.e. freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> ==> /questions)

This isn't really a function of a mail client.  I use procmail for
this, and it works great.  Check www.procmail.org.

> Do any old timer Mutt users have a .muttrc that they are
> particularly fond of that they'd share (stripping ofcourse any
> user/passwd info)?

Well, I wouldn't call myself an old timer... :)

Lucas