Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 1995 19:22:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        tanizaki_nao@hrt.shi.co.jp (Naoaki Tanizaki(=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQys6aiEhRD4+PBsoQg==?=))
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org, tanizaki_nao@hrt.shi.co.jp
Subject:   Re: I'm looking for Motif for FreeBSD.

>    Our company have been developing an image processing system
> for nuclear medicine.
> We developed it on OSF/1 and SunOS with OSF Motif.
> As you know, there are many DOS/V PCs in the world and
> they are getting powerfull.
> So, we have a plan for migrating it to DOS/V PC with FreeBSD.
> Then,  if you could, would you please answer following questions?
>
>  1) Can we use FreeBSD as a product platform?
>       If we could it, what should we do for it?
definitly.. the upcoming 2.1 would be a good version to use as it's designed
for stability.. 2.0.x were more experimental versions and 2.2 will be
a 'new features' version.. 2.1 is a 'stability first' version. (as will 2.3)

>  2) I'm looking for Motif for FreeBSD.
>       How can we get Motif for FreeBSD?
I keep forgetting where, but several companies do sell motif for freeBSD
check http://www.freebsd.org/
I seem to remember that this exact question is covered there somewhere..

> Incidentally, we are testing FreeBSD on following configuration.
> We could install v2.0.5R on our system successfully and we
> have been using it with no problem.
As you already have FreeBSD loaded, then you should look
in /usr/share/FAQ/Text/FreeBSD.FAQ:

3.1:  Where can I get Motif for FreeBSD?

You can purchase Motif 1.2.3 for FreeBSD (SWiM) from the ACC Bookstore,
P.O. Box 3364, Westport CT. 06880.  1-800-546-7274 or FAX: 1-203-454-2582

This software works flawlessly for for FreeBSD 1.1.5 but has shown
one problem with 2.0 in that the "uil" program core dumps.  This is
apparently because of the way uil is installed, and it's quite possible
that ACC will have a fixed version by the time you read this.  No
other compatibility problems with the programs or libraries have been
found, and ACC can hardly be blamed for failing to work perfectly with
a brand-new release they haven't even seen yet! :)

There may also be others..

> System Configuration
> MOTHER BOAD : P/I-P55TP4XE (with 256KB cashe)
> CPU                 : Pentium 133MHz (P54C-133)
> MEMORY          : 32MB
> VIDEO BOAD     : MACH64PCI(E)/2MB (ATI Technologies inc)
> FDD                 : A3.5" (3mode)
> HDD                 : IDE1.2GB
> NETWORK I/F   : 3C509-TP (3Com)
> SCSI I/F           : PCI-SC200 (NCR)