Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 2004 01:38:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dino Vliet <dino_vliet@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Size of /var worries me

Hi there,

I've installed freebsd 4.9 and am currently busy with
installing third party apps through the ports
collection.
What worries me however is the size of my /var
directory.
Take a look at my disk geometry (below)

I also had to get rid of a pkg.db file in the
/var/db/pkg directory because it took a lot of space.

q1) Do I have to worry about my /var<directory
q2) How can I get rid of files I don't need (like
XFree86.0.log..)
Other suggestions are welcome...

Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on

/dev/ad0s2a 126M 35M 81M 30% /

/dev/ad0s2f 98M 10.0K 91M 0% /tmp

/dev/ad0s2g 6.6G 1.5G 4.5G 25% /usr

/dev/ad0s2e 74M 67M 978K 99% /var