Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 06:44:03 -0500
From:      Yarema <yds@CoolRat.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>, Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@mahoroba.org>
Subject:   Re: IPv6 for ports, automaticly enable it or not?

--On Wednesday, January 23, 2002 16:30:22 +1100 Edwin Groothuis
<edwin@mavetju.org> wrote:

> I have a couple of ports (netcat, junkbuster) which are patched or
> have patched Makefiles to allow to work via IPv6 next to the standard
> IPv4. Nothing new here.
>
> I also know a couple of ports which have different ports to allow
> IPv6 support (apache, mozilla).
>
> IPv6 is supported since version 4.0 or 4.1, most if not all
> applications in the base operating system are supporting it.
>
> Why isn't ipv6 automaticly enabled in Apache if OSVERSION > 400000 ?
> Is there still a fear of IPv6 regarding these things?

I made IPv6 a non-default option in mail/courier because it failed to
resolve DNS addresses with IPv6 enabled, at least for me.  That particular
program always tries to resolve DNS over IPv6 first and then IPv4, so it's
also slightly slower with IPv6 enabled.  And in my case it didn't work at
all.  Possibly cause I run djbdns instead of BIND.  I don't think djbdns
does IPv6 yet.

--
Yarema