Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 2002 10:20:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [FreeBSD-4.5] Netscape upgrade blunder....

Hello Family,

Well this has got me baffled.

In trying to upgrade to Netscape-7.0 and having some GLIB errors
when trying to run it, the install went flawless from /usr/ports
though:

[wiliweld@LC-BSD-yoga ~]--> netscape7english &
[1] 2171
[wiliweld@LC-BSD-yoga ~]--> MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=.
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.:./Cool
          LIBPATH=.:./Cool
       SHLIB_PATH=.:./Cool
      XPCS_HOME=./Cool
      MOZ_PROGRAM=./netscape-bin
      MOZ_TOOLKIT=
        moz_debug=0
     moz_debugger=
./netscape-bin: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.2' not found
(required by /usr/lib/libgtk-1.2.so.0)
./netscape-bin: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.2' not found
(required by /usr/lib/libgdk-1.2.so.0)

[1]+  Done                    netscape7english

I now can still use my old netscape but CANNOT send any email
from it. I get the Netscape error that states:

========================
Netscape is unable to use the mail server because you have
not provided a username. Please provide one in the preferences
and try again.

I had not changed a thing and have reinstalled Netscape both
from ports and from a tarball and to no avail.

I imagine I'll have to use "truss" with firing up Netscape, then
the mail program, then try and send a message......

--
Bill Schoolcraft