Date:      Wed, 20 May 2020 16:46:19 -0700
From:      Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
To:        Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>, freebsd-pkgbase@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The new graphics ports and pkg-base

On 5/20/20 3:44 PM, Grzegorz Junka wrote:
> On 20/05/2020 17:30, Pete Wright wrote:
>>

>> On 5/20/20 12:45 AM, Grzegorz Junka wrote:
>>> I am trying to understand the impact of distributing ports with
>>> sources on building and packaging base with pkg.
>>>
>>> If I understand correctly, some ports, when installed with pkg,
>>> extract sources, which then supposed to be compiled with the kernel.
>>>
>>> For instance, drm-current-kmod extracts lots of files into
>>> /usr/local/sys/modules/
>>
>> hrm I am not seeing that behavior on my end:
>> $ pkg list drm-devel-kmod
>> /boot/modules/amdgpu.ko
>> /boot/modules/drm.ko
>> /boot/modules/i915kms.ko
>> /boot/modules/linuxkpi_gplv2.ko
>> /boot/modules/radeonkms.ko
>> /boot/modules/ttm.ko
>> /boot/modules/vboxvideo.ko
>> /boot/modules/vmwgfx.ko
>> /usr/local/share/licenses/drm-devel-kmod-5.2.g20200515/BSD2CLAUSE
>> /usr/local/share/licenses/drm-devel-kmod-5.2.g20200515/GPLv2
>> /usr/local/share/licenses/drm-devel-kmod-5.2.g20200515/LICENSE
>> /usr/local/share/licenses/drm-devel-kmod-5.2.g20200515/MIT
>> /usr/local/share/licenses/drm-devel-kmod-5.2.g20200515/catalog.mk
>> $
>>
>> maybe i'm missing something though and this behavior only happens on
>> systems using pkg-base?  i believe there was some discussion about
>> bundling the required source to build drm-kmod locally in a similar
>> fashion as linux dkms, but i'm not sure if that's progressed.
>

> Have a look at this commit (comments and the pkg-plist):
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D20990
>
> Also here
> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports/blob/master/graphics/drm-current-kmod/pkg-plist
>
> There is also the following comment in an email titled "drm drivers
> project report (week of May 4th)" which "Emmanuel Vadot" posted to
> freebsd-current and freebsd-x11:
>
> > As the drm-kmod ports install the sources in the system a kernel
> > compilation will rebuild those modules and install them in /boot/kernel
> > whereas using https://github.com/freebsd/drm-kmod/ will install
> > everything in /boot/modules
>
> I am not sure about drm-devel-kmod but I can confirm that a binary
> drm-current-kmod does contain sources and installs them when the port
> is installed. You can see those files in the commit I posted above.

i am sorry, i had misread which version of the kmod you were referring
to.  i am not sure why this is not implemented on the drm-devel-kmod
port.  for this specific port it may be worth pinging the freebsd-x11@
mailing list as they would be able to provide more insight into this change.

-pete

--
Pete Wright
pete@nomadlogic.org