Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 14:19:14 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   glibc and the resolv bug

Because I program professionally, I don't read GPLed code due to license
concerns. (If one has read GPLed code, it may be possible for someone to
argue that work you do later is derivative and that you must give it
away.) However, out of curiosity, I asked a programmer who does work on
GPLed code to look at the portions of glibc that correspond to the buggy
resolution code in the BSD libc.

According to this programmer, the glibc code appears to have been derived
from the BSD code, but the bug was fixed -- apparently some time ago. And
the programmer who did so left a note, set off by "XXX", saying that he
had done so. He did not, however, do the responsible thing and notify
users of other platforms that the bug was likely to exist in their C
libraries. Hence, we're left with the mess we have now.

--Brett Glass