Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2002 20:54:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
Cc:        Charlie Root <root@250-217.customer.cloud9.net>, FreeBSD Ports List <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: troubles with the FAM port

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Alan E wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 12:31:21PM -0400, Charlie Root wrote:
> >In the process of building the latest KDE (3.0.2) on my -current
> >machine I ran into the following problems with fam:
> >
> >	. configure failing due to mountlist issues --
> >	  solved by changing <rpcsvc/mount.h> in configure.in
> >	  to <sys/types.h> and <sys/mount.h>;
>
> Hmm. The file has changed locations? Or is there more than one
> mount.h?
>
> 	. libfam/Client.h failing to compile for a whole bunch
> >	  of hard to decipher errors/warnings -- gave up.
>
> This is not useful at all. Why not include the compiler output?
>
> >/etc/inetd.conf:sgi_fam/1-2 stream rpc/tcp wait		root	/opt/bin/fam	fam
>
> Yes, of course, all our ports install in /opt... Umm, that's not what
> the installation message says.
>
> ==8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<==
>
> 1. In order to run this port, please add the following line to /etc/rpc if
> it is not already there:
>
> ==8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<==
> sgi_fam		391002
> ==8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<==
>
> 2. If you wish to run fam from inetd (the recommended method), then
> please add the following lines to /etc/inetd.conf if they are not
> already there:
>
> ==8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<==
> # FAM: File Alteration Monitor [devel/fam]
> sgi_fam/1-2	stream rpc/tcp wait root /usr/local/bin/fam	fam
> ==8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<==
>
> After modifying /etc/inetd.conf, you must (as root) run:
>
> 	killall -HUP inetd
>
> 3. If, instead, you wish to run fam as a system daemon, then (as root)
> do the following:
>
> 	cd /usr/local/etc/rc.d
> 	cp fam.sh.sample fam.sh
> 	/usr/local/etc/rc.d/fam.sh start

> ==8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<==

> cooperation in following instructions, I can't really do anything for
> you.

I had the same trouble as the original poster with fam, which is
needed by kde2; I've given up on kde3 for now (on -current).

I finally installed the fam package.  The startup script says
"Can't determine PREFIX."  (I had this problem with one of the
dhcpd scripts as well, but solved it some other way.)  The
list of what to do is unclear--I think it means to say that 1 is
necessary and either 2 or 3; actually it's also necessary to
enable (or run) portmap.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC