Date:      Sun, 8 Nov 1998 16:57:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      garman@earthling.net
To:        green@unixhelp.org
Cc:        eivind@yes.no, dg@root.com, jfieber@indiana.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The infamous dying daemons bug

On  8 Nov, Brian Feldman wrote:
> Is it just me or has noone actually captured the corefiles, compiled
> whatever died -g, and tried to debug exactly what caused the sig11? Not
> the underlying cause, just the "actual" cause (like a certain register
> being a wrong value).

Yes, I have in my samba case.

In the samba case, smbd attempts to allocate 56 bytes for a ServicePtrs
array.  This (apparently) fails (according to the log files)... and the
segv occurs when later it attempts to dereference it.  I lost the nice
traces I did earlier (remember those null postings from me? :)) cause
my mail client wasn't able to allocate memory for my message :)

I had traces from both a "normal" samba which didn't exhibit the
symptoms, and a "tainted" samba which did.  The only thing different
was the ServicePtrs array was NULL in the smbd that segfaulted.

This happens when my swap is at 50-70% capacity, so i'm not running
critically low on memory here.

I can redo the smbd traces if there's interest.

I'd really like to know whats going on, as smbd isn't the only thing
involved; ssh refuses connections after a while (yet the daemon is
still running; i haven't gdb'ed it yet, but i'm assuming its the same
problems)

thanks
--
Jason Garman                                      http://garman.dyn.ml.org/