Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 1996 12:55:49 +0200 (GMT)
From:      Robin Lunn <robin@is.co.za>
To:        rif@ns.kconline.com (Jim Riffle)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: invisible with xterm

Jim Riffle wrote:
> I am not sure if this is a bug or just the way things work, but I thought
> I would mention my findings.

This is default behaviour when not able to write to WTMP.

> I have found this rather nice for watching people, as I am not shows in
> the w display, or even fingering says that I am not logged in if I log out
> with everything but the new xterm.
> The tasks still show up in ps and everything, just not with say "w" or
> "users" or anything like that.

This can be done with xterm with the SUID bit set too.  xterm -ut or use
the utmpInhibit option in your XTerm appdefault.

> I realize I could fix this by putting the suid bit back on, but what will
> stop say any user just compiling xterm themselves and becoming invisible?
> Although this is not a real problem, it just isn't comforting thinking of
> invisible users.  I for one, don't check my ps display to see if people
> are hiding <G>. Naturally the only people who could do this would be
> people with X, which in my case is very few.
>
> So, is this some sort of a bug, or just something that is going to happen?

Not a bug IMHO.  If you made wtmp world writable (MADNESS!) then xterm
would work the same as when SUID root in this regard.

Ciao,
--
_ __                  | Only my ideas here unless I say otherwise...
' )  )     /          | (BeamJack@IRC)