Date:      Thu, 21 Apr 2005 10:08:10 +0200
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@mail.uni-mainz.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   burncd in FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE

Hello.
Before sending a PR, I would like to ask about the state of burncd. It
is not working properly for me.
My hardware is a AMD64 based system with A NEC ND 3500AG/2.19 and a DELL
Optiplex 280/i386
with a HP 1100 (both drives DVD+-RW).

Burning DVD+RW is ok on formated media. Formatting DVD+RW is never
stopping, seems to get stuck
on both platforms, but when hitting Ctr-C and stopping the wicked up
process (burncd -v -f /dev/acd0 format dvd+rw),
the media seems to be already formatted and useable.

Burning CD-RW and CD-Rs with burncd does not work, the media get not
'closed' or 'fixate'd at the end although I explicitely
try to fixate ist. Instead, I use 'cdrecord' to fixate the media and
after that they work.

In the mentioned DELL system, the DVD+-RW got changed due to a hardware
failure and is now another model. So I'm really sure this is not a
hardware problem but a software problem. I know burncd lacks in several
functions, but I do not know whether it is marked 'broken' or working. I
wonder if others do not have similar problems. cdrecord is an
alternative, but burncd is due to its easier 'sudo' handling in
multiuser environments the more desired utility.

Thanks for your hints, comments and suggestions.