Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 21:51:48 +0200
From:      Stefan KORONKA <KoronkaS@interscope.ro>
To:        'Nathan Vidican' <webmaster@govital.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD killed my laptop, (twice); Thinkpad A20m

[..]
> I can't imagine that the machine is incapable of running FreeBSD. I
> suspect that it may have something to do with the way the system goes
> into 'hybernation' mode, (wherein it writes it's current status to
> hardisk, and shuts off; so as to resume operations when turned back
[..]
> 	Any ideas, comments, suggestions, or otherwise would be greatly
> appreciated at this point.

I recently installed FreeBSD on an (old) TexasInstruments laptop.

I had a similar problem; the system didn't halt, but it showed an
ugly bios-warning at bootup.  As you assumed, he needit a hybernation
partition. The solution was:
- create single msdos partition
- from that partition, run a program which resized the msddos
partition and create the hibernation one
(that utility i've found on net; you have the original CDs, so
you are more lucky)
- run the FreeBSD setup; delete the msdos partition and create a new
one (the hibernation partition was showed as the 4th partition)

So, my sugestion:
- install winse from original cd
- run the bsd setup; i think you will see 2 partition: one msdos,
and a small one (ramsize+few megs) for hybernation
- delete the msdos(fat) partition, but _keep_ the hyb part (or
any other "strange" partition)
- create your 4gigs msdos partition (if you want) and the bsd
partition;
- install the OSes

Note: if you choose for a MBR loader (for bsd), the win setup
will delete it; so, you need to install first windoze, and
second FreeBSD.  Also, your original "IBM recovery cd-rom" which
install Win98 will (most sure) re-partition your harddisk; so,
don't run the setup directly from it. Copy the win98kit from
cdrom to hardisk, and run the setup from harddisk.

Last note: if you screw up your system again, try to put the harddisk
into a desktop, and (re)install windoze from there. Your IBM cd
might not work for other systems, so you will need to do things
manually: create one msdos partition; patch it (create the hyb
part) - in order to do this, you need to search for the utility
(preferably on CD) - for me, the program who create the hyb
partition was called "phdisk.exe"; copy the win98kit to hd, install
it, and if you are lucky, when you put the hd back in the laptop,
it will boot.

Best luck,

Stefan