Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 2002 13:40:42 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: vi Error - Permission Denied

> I've decided to try and wean myself off ee and move to vi.  I have two
> boxes, both running 4.7-RELEASE-p1.  On one, I tried the following
> logged on with normal user privileges:
>
> blacklamb> vi practice
> ex/vi: Error: Unable to create temporary file: Permission denied
>
> A google search on this error suggests that permissions are not set
> correctly on /var/tmp and /var/tmp/vi.recover so I check them and they
> appear to be OK.
>
> blacklamb# ls -ld /var/tmp
> drwxrwxrwt  3 root  wheel  512 Nov 13 08:45 /var/tmp
>
> blacklamb# ls -ld /var/tmp/vi.recover
> drwxrwxrwt  2 root  wheel  512 Nov 10 12:22 /var/tmp/vi.recover
>
> So I check my other system and the permissions are the same, yet I can
> use vi logged on with normal privledges.  Any ideas on what is wrong
> here?

Usually what this means is that the temporary filename that vi has generated
and is attempting to use is _the same_ as an existing temporary file in
/var/tmp.

I don't usually see this on my small FreeBSD machines at home, but I do see
this quite frequently on the large multi-user (200+) AIX machines that I use
at work where it's not uncommon for people to have 4 or 5 instances of vi
running at once.

--
Matt Emmerton