Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 16:23:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <tim@ppp6564.on.sympatico.ca>
To:        Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>
Cc:        ac199@hwcn.org, "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>, Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, pechter@lakewood.com, softweyr@xmission.com, freebsd-chat@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, Jamie Bowden wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > Your "right thing" works entirely counter to that.  The "right
> > thing" is to raise children who belong to God.  In lue of that, you
> > may settle for "realize their full potential" and other such
> > cliches, but _please_, not "bring credit to their family".
>
> You raise them to belong to belong to some non-entity, and then tell them
> they are respected as property?  Sorry, my kids will be mine till they
> have enough brains not to walk into traffic without looking both ways,
> then they are their own problem (for the most part of course...your kids
> will always be your kids.)

I probably choose a poor term, given the context.

Points I am making are,

#1) They are FULLY respected as people, regardless of their
social/family position relative to the parent.

This is necessary to develop a good relationship with the children.
I believe that jmb's argument that the purpose of children is to
give "credit to their family" works counter to this.  Because I
discredited jmb's ``goal in raising children'', I had to offer my
own substitute.  It is #2.  For the many who cannot abide by this, I
even mentioned yet another possibility.

#2) The most important decision they make is to give themselves to
God.

These two do not conflict.  The idea with #1 is that we do not
discard the children (their opinions, ideas, etc) as somehow being
of less value than ours.

I could also go on to explain that despite #2, a certain equality
exists between God and man, but that goes clearly into the area of
religion, and besides, opinion on that changes every ~50 years or
so, anyways, so I'll leave it.

--
 tIM...HOEk
OPTIMIZATION: the process of using many one-letter variables names