Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 1998 07:27:00 -0600 (CST)
From:      jeh@anubis.network.com (Jeff Henning)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Networking blues...

I am having problems getting my 2 PCs running 2.2.5 to talk
to each other.  I am using the 3Com Etherlink III Combo
ethernet cards.  I configured the cards with the 3Com
utility as described in the mailing list archive.  I have
my pentium tower set up as a gateway and a 486 tower as a
host (Using 10.0.1.x for IP addresses).  The following
files were set up:

- /etc/hosts
- /etc/host.conf
- /etc/rc.conf
- /etc/resolv.conf

Here's the problem.  I am running tcpdump on the pentium
system to view traffic on the interface (unfortunately
I can't run tcpdump from the 486 until I can recompile
a new kernel).  I can attempt to ping the pentium from
the 486 and no traffic shows up on tcpdump.  Pinging
from the pentium to the 486 does show the ICMP echo requests
but the 486 doesn't answer.  I then can attempt to ftp or
telnet from the 486 to the pentium and I *do* see a
few exchanges on the interface via tcpdump.  I can get
as far as a login prompt and password but then it just
hangs and eventually times out.  Telnet and ftp from
the pentium to the 486 both get the connected message
but then hang before the login prompt.  Sometimes I
don't even see the connected message.

The /etc files are set up correctly above because a
co-worker took the 486 tower home last night, hooked
it up to his network and it worked correctly the first
time.  The routing tables are correct when I do a
"netstat -rn" on both machines and "ifconfig -a" shows
that the interface is up.  I don't understand why
ping requests from the 486 don't show up at all.

I would greatly appreciate any help you could give
me.  Thanks!

Jeff Henning
jeh@anubis.network.com