Date:      Sun, 02 Feb 1997 03:26:32 +0200
From:      Victor Rotanov <vitjok@fasts.com>
To:        Adam Bawor <bawoada@delta4.csam.iit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Two short questions

------------3C4C42042EA1

hi Adam

Adam Bawor wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm a CS student.  Last week I purchased FreeBSD and I have two
questions:

> 1. Does FreeBSD support symmetric multiprocessing?  I have
> a dual PentiumPro machine with FreeBSD installed on it, but
> it seems that one processor is not used at all.
FreeBSD 3.0 will support SMP.

> 2. I am interested in concurrent programming and I wonder if
> there is a chance to get 'pthreads' library?  Is there any
> vendor, or a web site where I could get the library that would
> work under FreeBSD?
FreeBSD 2.2 supports threads AFAIK, do not know about pthreads library.
There was some kind of pthreads library with netbsd (maybe openbsd too),
maybe it will work.

> I would be very grateful if someone could answer these questions.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Adam Bawor
bye

------------3C4C42042EA1

<HTML><BODY>

<DT>hi Adam</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>Adam Bawor wrote:<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; Hello!<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; I'm a CS student.&nbsp; Last week I purchased FreeBSD and I have two
questions:<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; 1. Does FreeBSD support symmetric multiprocessing?&nbsp; I have<BR>
&gt; a dual PentiumPro machine with FreeBSD installed on it, but<BR>
&gt; it seems that one processor is not used at all.</DT>

<DT>FreeBSD&nbsp;3.0 will support SMP.<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; 2. I am interested in concurrent programming and I wonder if<BR>
&gt; there is a chance to get 'pthreads' library?&nbsp; Is there any<BR>
&gt; vendor, or a web site where I could get the library that would<BR>
&gt; work under FreeBSD?</DT>

<DT>FreeBSD&nbsp;2.2 supports threads AFAIK, do not know about pthreads
library.</DT>

<DT>There was some kind of pthreads library with netbsd (maybe openbsd
too),</DT>

<DT>maybe it will work.<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; I would be very grateful if someone could answer these questions.<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; Thank you.<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; Adam Bawor<BR>