Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 2000 11:20:49 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wicontrol when WaveLAN card is inserted

Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net> probably said:
> How can I get wicontrol to run when the WaveLAN card is inserted? I
> tried the obvious and added the line
> 	insert	  /usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -p 1
> after the pccard_ether command in pccard.conf, but it seemed to have
> no effect. Manually executing this command made the card switch modes
> and start to operate, but I'd like it to simply work.

Some people I know are doing config like that, although most are using

 	insert	  /usr/sbin/wicontrol -i $device -p 1

in case it doesn't end up being 0 for some odd reason.

I added some configuration variables to the PAO pccard_ether scripts
and set it all up in rc.conf, which means I can change the configs
without restarting pccardd. You should be able to do similar to the
4.0 pccard_ether.

I much prefer the PAO style pccard_ether scripts and config variables
- the 4.0 ones don't seem to let you have different IPs for different
network cards.

Are there any plans to extend the 4.0 scripts to be more like the PAO
style, or was this change intentional ?

(The old PAO pccard_ether* scripts work fine on a 4.0 machine).

P.

--
pir                  pir@pir.net                    pir@net.tufts.edu