Date:      Wed, 3 Jun 1998 07:03:58 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        jbarbee@singular.com
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: future of slpha port

John Barbee wrote:
> i was told that when the loaner went away, the alpha port was given to netbsd.
> are there any future plans for freebsd and alpha or is that project permanently
> closed?

I think you might be referring to the work that Jeffrey Hsu and Terry
Lambert did porting NetBSD/Alpha to the AXPpci33 (a.k.a. noname). This
wasn't FreeBSD - they used the NetBSD/Alpha port done by Chris Demetriou.
The noname work was contributed by Jeffrey back to NetBSD and at least
partly re-written by Chris AFAIK.

FreeBSD/Alpha is actively being worked on. Much of the FreeBSD source
tree will now build and run as FreeBSD/Alpha using FreeBSD tools. The
ports, for instance, can successfully run configure scripts which
identify the system as alpha-unknown-freebsd3.0 and correctly build.
I'm working on the port of modula-3 to support CVSup. This requires
linker mods.

> we bought an alphastation 200 and are deciding what to run on it.

NetBSD will run nicely on this machine. If you might want to run FreeBSD
on it eventually, then put NetBSD on it now. 8-)

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137