Date:      Tue, 31 May 2005 17:06:21 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Michael Reifenberger <mike@Reifenberger.com>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 64bit loader

On Tue, 31 May 2005, David O'Brien wrote:
>> mode (compiling -m32...)
>> This breaks the building of testmain in sys/boot/ficl at least
>> as -m32 doesnt seem to be well supported until now on amd64.
>
> Are you sure (cd /sys/boot/ficl ; make testmain) works on 32-bit systems?
> It fails on my 6-CURRENT system (though for a different reason).

No.
As it seems boot/ficl contains code which relys on i386/loader stuff.
Its not self contained as it should be.

>> Wouldn't is be possible to switch to 64bit long mode in the
>> boot0 loader
>
> Ha!!  We can only have 1 sector worth of code in boot0.  At this point we
> only have a few bytes of free code space.  No where near enough to do the
> long mode switch.

Sorry. I didnt meant boot0 but btx. I do know that boot0 is too small.
But btx is already switching to protected mode so it should be possible
to switch to 64bit mode too.

>> (I'm trying to use and upgrade our ficl loader BTW)
>
> One is able to use and upgrade one's ficl loader loader on AMD64 just
> fine.  So what is the real problem you are hitting?

I'm trying to upgrade ficl3 to ficl4 (mainly due to being able to
use compressed softwords).

Bye/2
---
Michael Reifenberger, Business Development Manager SAP-Basis, Plaut Consulting
Comp: Michael.Reifenberger@plaut.de | Priv: Michael@Reifenberger.com
       http://www.plaut.de           |       http://www.Reifenberger.com