Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 1995 18:23:47 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Bringing stuff into 2.1?

> Since the next release is going to be 2.1.1, what's the policy for
> bringing in changes to the 2.1 branch from -current?

1. If you're sure of the change.
2. It doesn't represent radically new functionality (like devfs or IPX)
3. It fixes a bugs or otherwise corrects something that needs correcting
   (like a missing man page or re-written for clarity doc)
4. It's been tested for awhile in -current.

Go for it!

> For example, the sliplogin/slattach changes could go in (they've been
> running here for months now), but I'm not sure if we want them to go in.

I'd say that this qualifies since the 2.1 slattach was already
substantially merged from 2.2 before we shipped (you'll recall my
railing against our broken slattach).  If the evolutionary process
has continued in 2.2, and it doesn't jeopardize functionality, cool.

> I'd also like to see the PPP stuff move in, and even the ibcs2 kernel
> stuff, but I'm not heading in that direction until we have an idea what
> the policy is going to be.

The iBCS2 stuff is a little iffy, but I'd argue that #2 could be
ammended slightly for anything not on the critical path.  ibcs2 stuff
doesn't fall into that category, and if the changes result in better
ability to run MORE binaries, I don't see why it shouldn't be brought
across (given provision 4).

My (and I believe everyone's) chief concern is that we not break the
tree.  That means being _really_ careful the ensure that any changes
brought across don't have dependencies on other areas of -current
which may not also make it in.  The last thing we need is to break
_all_ ibcs2 binaries (or something) because only half of the
components were brought over. :-)

					Jordan