Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 2008 15:01:30 +0100
From:      Victor Balada Diaz <victor@bsdes.net>
To:        Oliver Peter <lists@peter.de.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [ATA] and re(4) stability issues

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 12:08:40PM +0000, Oliver Peter wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 07:52:37PM +0100, Victor Balada Diaz wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I got various machines[1] at hetzner.de and I've been having problems
> > with interrupts on FreeBSD 7.0 and now FreeBSD 7.1 -BETA2 in amd64. I've
> > been trying to narrow the problem so someone more knowledgeable than me
> > is able to fix it. This mail is an other attempt to ask a question
> > with regards ATA code to see if this time i got something.
>
> Just want to add a quick note and say that I'm having the same problem
> with my 7.0-RELEASE-p6/amd64 hetzner machine:
>
>      http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-acpi/2008-September/005095.html
>
> I would be happy to test patches as well.  Thanks.

Hello Oliver,

What i did so far and improved a lot the experience was:

1) Upgrade at least the if_re code to RELENG_7. This fixes issues
   of packet corruption on ssh sessions.

2) Delete from your kernel config USB and firewire. This prevents
   the realtek interrupt to be shared.

After this, with 7.1 -BETA2 the systems are more or less stable, but
after a while the ATA controller starts to create interrupt storms.
I wasn't able to find why.

With the help that i've received in this thread from Pyun
YongHyeon (Thanks!!) i'm also trying this suggestions:

3) Backport this 3 files from current to 7.1 -BETA2:

base/head/sys/dev/re/if_re.c
base/head/sys/pci/if_rl.c
base/head/sys/pci/if_rlreg.h

You can fetch them from http://svn.freebsd.org/. With them and
adding to /boot/loader.conf this tunable:

hw.re.msi_disable="0"

I can use GENERIC kernel again (ie, USB enabled) and so far
i didn't find any problem yet. No more interface up/down problems
and no more interrupt storms. I must say that i haven't tested
this enough, because the interrupt storms in ATA code start to
happen after a few days of uptime load, but at least the problems
with the realtek seem to be gone.

If you upgrade to 7.1 -BETA2 you'll also get SATA support for
the IXP card. With 7.0 it will work as ATA 33 in compatibility mode.

Maybe someone with write access to the wiki could add it somewhere
so that other hetzner users that are having the same problems
could use the same workarounds :)

I hope this helps you.

Regards.

--
La prueba más fehaciente de que existe vida inteligente en otros
planetas, es que no han intentado contactar con nosotros.