Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2000 12:45:58 -0700
From:      "Raymundo M. Vega" <RaymundoVega@home.com>
To:        amassaro@elyxir.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DSL Config w/ FreeBSD

Andrew Massaro wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am running FreeBSD and have recently obtained DSL. My local ISP (which
> supports the DSL) does /not/ support FreeBSD; in short, I need to know
> how to configure my FreeBSD machine to run the DSL. I know the lines
> probably go into the /etc/rc.conf file but I'm not sure exactly what to
> put in there...

your ISP must give you an IP address, netmask, default gateway
and DNS server.

first try it manually, as root type:

ifconfig rl0 <IP address here> netmask <real IP mask here>
route add default <default gateway address>

If your ethernet card is not a realtek, then replace rl0
with the appropriate driver. At this moment you should be able
to connect anywhere if you happen to know the IP address.
the only missing thing is the DNS, so edit /etc/resolv.conf
and insert a line like:

nameserver <put here the nameserver address>

i think this is about it, that should do it.

raymundo