Date:      Fri, 19 Aug 2011 22:10:49 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Vadim Goncharov <vadim_nuclight@mail.ru>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: touch(1) not working on directories in an msdosfs(5) envirement

Hi Rick Macklem!

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 15:40:31 -0400 (EDT); Rick Macklem wrote about 'Re: touch(1) not working on directories in an msdosfs(5) envirement':

> Yes, FAT file systems do not maintain a directory modify
> time. (The original FAT12,16 structure didn't even have a
> modify time for the root dir.)

> Just like Windows.

> This causes issues when a FAT fs is exported via NFS and
> someone was going to experiment with an "in memory only"
> modify time for dirs, to minimize caching issues, but I
> haven't heard back from them lately.

> Apparently Mac OS X chooses to update the modify time that
> exists on FAT32 file systems, but that isn't Windows compatible.

What? I've just now created a test directory and changed it's modify time
in Far Manager on Windows 2000, in a FAT32 partition. In fact it allows to
change all three directory times, creation and access, too. So, I conclude,
the FAT supports it.

--
WBR, Vadim Goncharov. ICQ#166852181       mailto:vadim_nuclight@mail.ru
[Anti-Greenpeace][Sober FreeBSD zealot][http://nuclight.livejournal.com]