Date:      Sat, 23 Jan 1999 14:19:52 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: found dirty cache page 0xf046f1c0

Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :Peter Wemm wrote:
> :> Dual p5-90 w/ 48M ram, doing a major cvs update/merge (which mostly got
> :> lost):
> :>
> :> panic: found dirty cache page 0xf046f1c0
> :...
> :
> :This is possibly a false alarm..  Something wierd was happening.  I cleaned
> :out the kernel and reconfigured with NFS static (it was being loaded) and
> :it seems to boot OK.  At least, I'm not getting console corruption (random
> :baud rate changes) and the SMP mutex being broken and both cpu's entering
> :the kernel at once.....  I think I'll blame it on the 15 hour electrical
> :storm. :-]
> :
> :Cheers,
> :-Peter
>
>     An old nfs module would almost certainly not work with the new
>     kernel without at least a recompile.  I'd definitely recommend
>     keeping the major modules compiled in rather then dynamically
>     loaded, just on principle.  In fact, in all my time at BEST and
>     all my time playing with FreeBSD, I have *never* used any
>     dynamic module except for the linux compatibility thingy, and
>     even that was only a fluke.  If you can compile it in, compile
>     it in.

It's definately happening still, sorry. :-(  I recompiled a 100% static
kernel and have had three more explosions, usually after starting exmh.
(exmh takes 10 to 15MB of ram on this system due to my mailbox folder
sizes).

>     But, keep a watch on it.  I didn't have an SMP box to test
>     the new VM stuff on so it's possible there's something going
>     on there.

However, a clue..  The SMP box that is doing fine is a P6, an NFS client
and server (loading nfs.ko, it fsck's fast, so I use that box for making
sure the modules work).  The one that is crashing, is a P5, an NFS client
and server (static kernel), and with a MFS /tmp.  Both run softupdates (up
to date src/contrib/sys).

I suspect MFS is the key.  There's the new VOP_FREEBLKS() stuff you added,
and the corresponding calls to madvise to free the pages.

Given madvise()'s murky history, I can't help but feel suspicious about it.

I've unmounted /tmp and am about to thrash the machine.  At the
moment, it's sitting on:  Swap: 120M Total, 376K Used, 120M Free

Cheers,
-Peter