Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 1996 22:21:45 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        marc@cyberswinger.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISIS-freeWAIS installation

> I've been having problems getting the clients to work after compiling
> free-WAIS-0.5 (not able to create socket connection when using waisq,
> no response from waisserver), and am looking for any suggestions/tips
> on what might have caused this.

Was the WAIS server running? Are the files it needs in the place it
expects to find them?

> The waisq/waisserver clients did work at first, but the sockets problem
> arrived and I have had no luck since.

Hmm. Maybe a case of the TIME_WAIT problem? (If you close a connection
to a server, it will not accept another connection from a client with
the same port/IP number combo for a few minutes). (*)

> I just downloaded the ISIS-freeWAIS-0.5-FreeBSD package but notice that
> there are no Makefiles for FreeBSD (v 2.1).  Same problem for
> free-WAIS-0.5 also.  What Makefile should I use?  Is bsdi safe?

As a rule of thumb, if a program doesn't directly support FreeBSD, its
support for NetBSD, BSDI or BSD4.4 (or even BSD4.3) is a good place to
start.

You will probably find it useful to read the Handbook entry on how to
prepare a port (even if you're not thinking of submitting your work as
an actual port, there are some useful tips there).

(*) Warning - slightly over-simplistic explanation

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk