Date:      Mon, 06 Sep 1999 08:22:19 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: start xdm on a particular vty

On Fri, 03 Sep 1999 14:03:11 -0400, Luoqi Chen wrote:

> Do you know the appropriate channel to contact the XFree86 folks? In the
> mean while, I can take Sheldon's advice, submit it to our XFree86 port.

By the way, I've just thought of something you should consider. I think
there's still a problem with xdm, where trying to change vty while it's
starting up can lose you access to all your vtys.

This is a problem if xdm starts up unexpectedly.  This is why I'm in
favour of it being part of XFree86 instead of FreeBSD. But even more
important, it should only be installed if the person running the install
is okay with it.

For the port, that means asking another question. However, it's a little
more tricky for the package and you'll probably have to warn that it has
been installed, rather than ask whether it's okay to install.

This is, of course, idealism. If the script becomes a part of life,
people will learn. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.