Date:      Wed, 6 Jul 2005 05:37:56 +0200
From:      Danny Pansters <danny@ricin.com>
To:        m.hauber@mchsi.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux move to FreeBSD (Beastie vs Penguin)

On Wednesday 6 July 2005 05:12, Mike Hauber wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 July 2005 09:41 pm, you wrote:
> > I agree. They can think whatever they want. That's fine with
> > me. But like I said, they have no right to impose their belives
> > upon others and certainly not upon a group of people who
> > provide something technical (like an OS) for free. They have no
> > right to do that, they have every right to think what they want
> > to think. So have I. Religion should be merely a private
> > matter. And if so I have the highest respect for someone doing
> > or not doing or undoing or redoing something out of religious
> > belief.
>
> Someone asking what Chucky is about is imposing?  Someone saying
> that they won't use FreeBSD because of Chucky is imposing?  I'm
> not following...  Sure, I think the person who originated this
> thread is narrow-minded, but that doesn't mean't that he's
> "imposing."

No no no, what I mean is when people ate saying "you should do XYZ or change
ABC". If they say "I don't like this I'll leave" well that's a shame but OK.
All I'm arguing is that if people don't want to listen anyway about simple
outside and perfectly explanable "icons" that are used and, my God, for
merely humorous reasons even so, then if people still can't live with that
perhaps they better leave instead of trying to break up the cummunity with
their proclamation of everlasting truth.

And it's my personal good righty to dislike and distrust organized religion
because, if anyuthing, they always were personally hostile towards me. You
know, if they want to take the upper hand in the public debate (and they may
have the clout right now) at least they should stop wining about being the
minority. I, with my evolution "theory" and with my Descartes, and with my
Newton and with my Enlightenment are in jeaopardy. And you are either with
science or you are not.

> > And yes, most religious people (muslim, jew, christian, both
> > catholic or reformed) *are* much more moderate than their
> > leadership. So, when are they going to stand up? It's their
> > movement, not mine. It's their sense of justice, not mine. Are
> > they so diverted that they've lost beforehand?
>
> Look, I'm not trying to argue.  I just don't see where all this is
> coming from.  I've never heard of Mark before, and doubt that
> he's a religious leader (most leaders don't have the time to mess
> with real operating systems)...  (Of course, Mark...  If you are,
> then feel free to speak up.)

I don't know any Mark. Don't ask me.

> > As long as they don't I reckon they agree with their extreme
> > leadership.
>
> ?See above?

See above as well.

> > And they surely insult and condemn me (a secular
> > gay gay who has been in a 10 year happy and monogam
> > relationship with one person so far thank you how many rednecks
> > can say that? -- not implying you are one).
>
> I've re-read the thread just to make sure, but I don't think Mark
> (or anyone else in this thread) mentioned anything that would
> remotely seem condemning or insulting towards your personal life.

Neither did I say so. Who's this Mark anyway? I'm saying that the fundies take
delight in to attacking not only my personal but also my scioentific beliefs
and I think it's about thime the "reality based" crowd started to say NO to
that a bit harder.

> I'm not sure where that came from so:
> | grep pertinence
> |
> > So I find a little
> > offensive here certainly not unappropriate. It's probably
> > needed. The American Taliban is not all that far away. In fact
> > they're quite powerful, more than the "moderates" seem to
> > think.
>
> Hello?  I think you've misunerstood me.  Mayhaps I should reword
> it (and I mean no offense, but perhaps a jogging of neurons would

That's likely to get me going yeah.

> help)....  I think it is just as narrow-minded (no.... moreso by
> far) for one to judge an entire group based on the actions/ideals
> of a few than it is for one to say of his own account "I'm
> hesitant to use FreeBSD because the mascot has two horns and
> sneakers and therefore must be the Devil.  Could someone tell me
> more about that?"
> Please.  It almost seems like you're writing in regards to your
> personal issues rather than using good ol' fashioned sense.

You're just dying to pose me as a nutcase. Well, let me help you I'm already
known as such. That don't mean you'd win a random discussion about some
random superstition in human culture.

I'm using "personal issues" (quite well positioning me open to attacks) as an
example. And a very valid one because the agressive chriostian right likes to
play as if they're under attack rather than attacking others (smaller groups)
instead. Let's replace "my personal issues" (I have no personal issues BTW,
I'm sure you're glad to hear that, but many many younger and also older
people suffer greatly for this same thing) with whatever you seem to be
defending and redo the discussion. That'll be interesting.

> Mike

Cheers,

Dan