Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 14:51:16 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        "G.B.Naidu" <gbnaidu@sasi.com>
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help on vresion numbers...

"G.B.Naidu" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I have been working on FreeBSD from a quite some
> time. I went through the Handbook and will go throguh FAQs as you have
> suggested.
>
> I would like to know which of the 4.x train of FreeBSD is stable and good
> to use.

Read http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/current-stable.html

At this time,

FreeBSD-3.4-RELEASE is evolving slowly into 3.5-RELEASE under the CVS tag
3.4-STABLE. The 3.x-Track of FreeBSD receives only major bugfixes now, there is no
new development on this branch, no new features will be backported from the more
advanced branches of development.

FreeBSD-4.0-R is evolving into 4.1-R, the CVS tag of this evolution tree is
4.0-STABLE. This branch is actively developing now, although...

FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT is the CVS tag for the version used for experimental changes,
which is the most advanced of the three active source trees right now.

If you're looking for a stable target to develop against, I'd recommend
4.0-STABLE. To install it, follow the procedure shown at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html

HTH
-Christoph Sold