Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 2006 20:19:12 +0100
From:      piotr.smyrak@heron.pl
To:        ahze@ahze.net,shildreth@allantgroup.com
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What type of hardware are you using?

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 11:16:15 -0500, michael johnson wrote
> On 1/11/06, Scott T. Hildreth <shildreth@allantgroup.com> wrote:
> >
> > At home, my machine is a 1 GHZ, with 768 mb of memory.  I use
xfce4,
> > evolution, firefox, gnome-office, ...etc.  It seems that with
every
> > upgrade, the 1GHZ cpu is not enough power anymore.  I use
evolution
> > at work, but I am trying Thunderbird at home now.  The new
evolution
> > is too slow on my home server.  Thunderbird is better (less cpu
> > intensive), but not snappy by any means.  Plus I miss some of
the
> > features of Evolution, but this is straying from my question.
Has
> > anyone else noticed this issue or is everyone else running on
faster
> > processors?
>
> I tend to agree 1GHz isn't enough anymore.. I have a
> 700MHz box and it runs FreeBSD 4.8 with an old ports tree.
> I recommend using older software for older *desktop* systems.

My desktop is 700 Mhz Duron at 256 Mb, and a 366 Mhz laptop with 128
Mb and I have to say I am satisfied with GNOME performance, and I
also want to add it improved a lot during the 2.x tree life.

But I use Evo only to store addresses. It's much too heavy for other
work, I tried, but it lasted only a week or so.

For mail I can happily suggest Sylpheed and Sylpheed-claws, both
GTK2 apps now.

Mezz already mentioned Opera as a nice browser alternative, so I
won't repeat.

I have now a working port of Contacts, Open-Hand addressbook for
Evolution Data Server. So I have been hoping to fire Evolution from
the addresses job as well, but I recently noticed it is in some ways
incompatible with Evolution. I plan to PR it when things straighten
out.

--
 Piotr Smyrak
 piotr.smyrak@heron.pl