Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 19:40:06 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@ukug.uk.FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Lengeling <johnl@raccoon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Ant Clifford <aec@dcs.ed.ac.uk>
Subject:   Re: getting freebsd

On 11-Sep-99 John Lengeling wrote:
> If you want the easiest install, purchase the CDROM and do a CDROM
> install.  Proceeds help the FreeBSD organization.  It is also the
> fastest installation.

A good UK distributor of FreeBSD CD-ROMS is www.dgc-nms.co.uk or else the first
place that the CD sets are made available (and the best place for all FreeBSD
related stuff) is www.freebsdmall.com

> The next easiest install is to do an FTP install over the Internet.  All
> you need are the 2 boot floppies
> (/pub/FreeBSD/3.2-RELEASE/floppies/kern.flp and
> /pub/FreeBSD/3.2-RELEASE/floppies/mfsroot.flp)  Follow the instructions
> on how to get started from www.freebsd.org.  If you have a slow dialup
> connection, just do a minimal installation.  This will get you started
> and you can always download additional distribution packages after the
> install.

From a UK university, the Higher Education National Software Archive (HENSA) on
www.hensa.ac.uk is probably the fastest site.

> I have also done minimal installs using the boot floppies and a copy of
> everything in the 3.2-RELEASE/bin directory located on a spare MS-DOS
> partition.  I think you could even to place the bin files on a floppy.

Except that floppys are a VERY unreliable way to keep data. CDROM, FTP or
DOS-partition are definatly the best ways to install.

Don't forget theat you can come to the UK User Group (ukug.uk.freebsd.org) if
you need any help.

See you later.

---
Andrew Boothman <andrew@ukug.uk.FreeBSD.org>