Date:      16 Dec 2001 18:51:08 -0500
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        hjs <hjs@thestof.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange Behaviour 'ls'

On Sun, 2001-12-16 at 18:41, hjs wrote:
> Cliff,
>
> The commands you provided me produce the following output:
>
> bash-2.04$ type ls
> ls is /bin/ls
> bash-2.04$ file /bin/ls
> /bin/ls: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD),
> dynamically linked, not stripped

That's odd.  Everything in /bin and /sbin should be statitcally linked
since those tools are needed to boot or recover a system before /usr
(and the linker and shared objects) are mounted.

Have you replaced /bin/ls with something like gnuls or colorls?  Has
someone perhaps hacked your machine, and replaced ls with a malicious
tool?  My ls on 4.4-stable built last night looks like:

# file /bin/ls
/bin/ls: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD),
statically linked, stripped
# cksum /bin/ls
2143685499 294300 /bin/ls

From 4.4-RELEASE:
# file /bin/ls
/bin/ls: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD),
statically linked, stripped
# cksum /bin/ls
3683638805 294300 /bin/ls

Sorry, I don't have a 4.2 machine to compare for you.  Have a look at
your ls.  If you have another working 4.2 box, compare the checksums.

Joe