Date:      Fri, 3 Aug 2001 17:17:49 +0100
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        William Richard <wdr@tdl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: moving to XFree86-4

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 08:48:55AM -0700, William Richard wrote:
| On Friday 03 August 2001 08:30, j mckitrick wrote:
|
| > Well, unless there was a subtle config problem I am unaware of.  I
| > saw a line in the log complaining about an illegal x86 extended
| > instruction, but the program kept running.  It died before opening a
| > display.
|
| Did your screen change modes (maybe it went blank, maybe it clicked,
| maybe it popped a message up on the screen) before the X server died
| and left its ghoulish corpse on your hard drive?

No blanking or any apparent progress toward creating the X display.  It
dumps a bunch of messages to the screen (and log file) like X always does,
then says:

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 10.  Server aborting.

| What sort of display hardware are you using?  Doesn't happen to be a
| Matrox video card, does it (mine is)?  I tried turning off various
| options in the config file, changing bit depths, etc., but had no
| joy...  Still works under XFree86 3.3.6 at 32 b/p without a whinge.

Chips and Technologies 65555 on a Toshiba laptop

| And maybe we should move this off freebsd-stable, as I wonder how
| -STABLE-related this conversation is...

Hmmm.  It sure would be nice if version 4.x were as well integrated with
-stable as 3.x was.  There, now it's related to the list.  ;-)

| scha.den.freu.de (n) [German, from Schaden damage + Freude joy]:
| enjoyment obtained from the troubles of others

I only had 2 years.  I forgot most of it, with no one around to practice
with.

jm
--
"Investigators have discovered the cause of the TWA 800 explosion
was a frayed wire.  The wire became frayed when it was struck