Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 20:21:06 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, current@FreeBSD.ORG, peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au
Subject:   Nesting levels (was: indent(1) and style(9) (was: btokup() macro in sys/malloc.h))

On Thursday, 28 January 1999 at 20:39:03 +1100, Bruce Evans wrote:
>> not speaking about vinum, but to me, the indentation of 8 char and
>> line length of 80 chars are almost mutually exclusive.
>>
>> See e.g. tcp_input.c ip_input.c and many network device drivers as
>> an example -- basically all places where, for efficiency reasons,
>> the code tries to expand in-line various block, the depth of
>> indentation pushes everything to the right end leaving only 20-30
>> useful chars per line.
>
> See the Linux style guide

Wave a red rag at a bull?

> (linux/Documentation/CodingStyle) for strong opinions about this:
> "if you need more than 3 levels of indentation, you're screwed
> anyway, and should fix your program".

I think this is the bottom line.  If you're using 8 character indents,
then yes, you're screwed.  If you're using Microsoft and trying to
write clever shell scripts, you're screwed too.  Your tools limit what
you can do.  I believe that, in the matter of indentation, style(9)
limits legibility to a point where you really are screwed if you have
multiple indentation.  But it's not because the code's bad.

Greg