Date:      Thu, 01 Apr 1999 13:14:04 PST
From:      "John McGarey" <jmcgarey@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installation problem

I'm having trouble installing FreeBSD.
I'm trying to install it on my second IDE hard drive all by itself
(so there shouldn't be trouble about installing before a certain block)
so there is ONLY freebsd on my second hard drive
I've been able to make different install configurations work, but still
I get the same error.
Even with the minimal install it doesn't work.

I've tried many times and I complete the installation
but I keep getting the same error.

'error 6: panic: cannot mount root(2)'

then it reboots.  I've searched on the freebsd website,
and on web boards and mailing lists.  it appears that
this problem is pretty common, (I have 4 ide devices, 2 HD's and one cd
rom and one cd-r the hard drives are the master devices)
and I've found the posted solutions for the problem (1:wd(2,a)kernel)
totally ineffective on my specific problem.  I've also tried
many different possible variations on that command (like
1:wd(0,a)/kernel).
they don't work either. I've tried a lot of different partition options
on the second drive, and they have not changed anything.

of All the other errors I've seen on mailing lists and what not,
none say specifically the error above, most are general like 'cannot
mount root' or something.

I know you guys have probably seen a similar error a lot, but I guess
mine is different, because the old tricks don't work with this error.
Does anyone have any ideas about what the 6 or the 2 mean in the error?
Or Some other way to fix the problem with out putting the hard drives
in the same ide chain?

I've tried installing this stuff in the past and it has never worked on
this machine.
thanks
John McGarey