Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 14:28:47 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Homerton Webmaster" <webmaster@homerton.org.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from 2.1.0

In message <000901bff2f7$74ce3c20$e2f799c3@corpex.net> "Homerton Webmaster" writes:
: I've just found a 2.1.0 machine hidden away in a room. Is it possible to
: upgrade this in a
: single hop to 4.1RC or would I be better off just reinstalling from scratch?
:
: I've only done 2 or 3 updates from source and they have all been extremely
: painless,
: but I thought it might be useful for the experience?

You might eb able to do that in one hope, however there are a number
of things in the way at the moment.  gprof (or was that groff) is
written in c++ and the c++ compiler in 2.1.0 almost certainly will
barf on it, and it is a "build tool" so it must be built before
switching to the new compiler.  Maybe a gcc port would fix this, but
getting a modern gcc /usr/port to build on a 2.1.0 system might be
difficult.

You are more likely to be happier if you just do a fresh install and
save all your config files and reconfigure everything.

Warner